"Mean spirited", "inhumane" and desecrating the spirit of the Refugee Convention are some of the milder criticisms levelled at Denmark's harsh new asylum laws, passed last week.
Part new measures is a decision to strip new arrivals of any cash and valuables worth additional than 10,000 kroner (US$1,450), purportedly to pay for their upkeep. Switzerland and some southern German states have introduced similar policies.
It's a move that reflects the fragmenting world of European migration policy, lacking in solidarity, empathy and basic human decency. But what of the financial implications for asylum seekers?
The new trend in sub-Saharan African politics is sidestepping constitutionally mandated term limits.
While military takeovers are the exception these days, this year at least seven nations across the region will see leaders attempting to remain in office beyond their term limits.
Neighbours Republic of Congo (Brazzaville) and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) are part them. However their presidents’ strategies have diverged, as have the outcomes.
Whether the DRC’s president Joseph Kabila will remain or leave office from presently on year’s presidential election is a constant source of speculation in DRC’s political circles. His refusal to clearly national his intentions along with an insistence on measures such as local elections to delay the 2016 elections have been dubbed ‘Glissement’ – or slippage – by the opposition. They worry he will use delaying tactics to make his third term a de facto reality.
The Africa Union has merged its science and education bodies in a move designed to improve sectoral relationships, effectiveness and efficiency. The African Ministerial Council on Science and Technology and the Conference of Ministers of Education of the African Union will presently operate as one entity.
“The decision of the heads of states was as well motivated by the need to streamline ministerial conferences, limit their number and confer the power to convene them to the African Union Commission and save costs,” Dr Mahama Ouedraogo, the African Union’s chief of human resources, science and technology, told University World News.
- Key Facts
Ambassador: H.E.Mr.Daniel Owassa
Full name: Republic of the Congo
Population: 4.1 million (UN, 2011)
Area: 342,000 sq km (132,047 sq miles)
Major languages: French, indigenous African languages
Major religions: Christianity, indigenous African beliefs
Life expectancy: 57 years (men), 59 years (women) (UN)
Monetary unit: 1 CFA (Communaute Financiere Africaine) franc = 100 centimes
Main exports: Oil, timber, plywood, sugar, cocoa, coffee, diamonds
GNI per capita: US $2,150 (World Bank, 2010)
Internet domain: .cg
International dialling code: +242
Gal Water Technologies Ltd. is backed by 20 years of experience in supplying water treatment systems for Industrial, Agricultural and Consumable water.
Relationship between the People's Republic of China and the Republic of Congo (Congo) grew closer in 2013.
The two countries enjoyed frequent political exchanges and enhanced mutual trust. In March, President Xi Jinping paid a state visit to Congo. Also in March, President of Congo Denis Sassou-N'guesso sent a letter of congratulations to President Xi Jinping on his election as President of the People's Republic of China.
At the same time as a statement by the world’s most influential development agency provides evidence that a lot of of its staff are “biased” in their perceptions of the poor and their needs, one may expect eyebrows to be raised. At the same time as the president of that institution — the World Bank, no less — acknowledges the flaw and goes on to call for “measures to mitigate these biases, such as additional rigorously diagnosing the mindsets of the people we are trying to help”, jaws should be dropping.
The country (Republic of the Congo) is situated in Western Africa, bordering the South Atlantic Ocean, between Angola and Gabon. It has borders with Angola for 201km, Congo (Kinshasa) for 2410km, Central African Republic for 467km, Cameroon for 523km and Gabon for 1903km. Land in Republic of the Congo is coastal plain, southern basin, central plateau, northern basin.
Congolese or Congo land covers an area of 342000 km².The climate is tropical with a rainy season (March to June) and a dry season (June to October), with persistent high temperatures and humidity; it is particularly enervating climate astride the Equator.
Congolese (singular and plural) speak French (official), Lingala and Monokutuba (lingua franca trade languages), a lot of local languages and dialects (of which Kikongo is the majority widespread).
Brazzaville is the capital and major city of the Republic of the Congo and is located on the Congo River. As of the 2001 census, it has a people of 1,018,541 in the city proper, and about 1.5 million in total when including the suburbs located in the Pool Region.The populous city of Kinshasa (additional than 10 million inhabitants in 2009),capital of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, lies just across the Congo River from Brazzaville.
President Denis Sassou-Nguesso
- Banking / Investment
- Construction projects
- Environment Projects
- Petroleum / Mining
- Stock Market / Finance
- Business / Trade
- Construction / Infrastructure
- Congo Brazzaville News
- COMMUNICATION: Africa,Protect Refugees With Mobile Banking
- GOVERNMENT: The new trend in sub-Saharan African politics is sidestepping constitutionally mandated term limits.
- EDUCATION: African Union merges science and education bodies
- ECONOMY: Global growth will be disappointing in 2016: IMF's Lagarde
- CHINA AFRICA RELATION: President Denis Sassou N'Guesso has hailed China's pledge to support Africa's development.
- INDUSTRY: South African retailer sees wholesale opportunity at DRC-Zambia border
- Trending Articles
- UGANDA: Uganda: Interest On External Debt Rises to Shs250b
- MOZAMBIQUE: Mozambique: Secret Loans: What Happens Now?
- AFRICA: Africa: To Burn or Sell Ivory - Which Can Put an End to Elephant Poaching?
- ANGOLA: Angola's population totals over 25.78 million people
- RUSSIA: Morocco, Russia Set to Promote Trade
- CHINA: Buhari orders establishment of Technical Committees on new China, Nigeria joint projects
- STOCK MARKET / FINANCE: Uganda: Interest On External Debt Rises to Shs250b
- STOCK MARKET / FINANCE: Mozambique: Secret Loans: What Happens Now?
- ENVIRONMENT: Africa: To Burn or Sell Ivory - Which Can Put an End to Elephant Poaching?
- PEOPLE: Angola's population totals over 25.78 million people
- BUSINESS / TRADE: Morocco, Russia Set to Promote Trade
- BUSINESS / TRADE: Buhari orders establishment of Technical Committees on new China, Nigeria joint projects