PakistanCapital: Islamabad;Largest city: Karachi . GDP growth (annual %) 2012 :4.2%;
The national gas companies of Turkmenistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and India have established a company that will be engaged in construction, owning and operation of the planned 1,800-kilometer Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India gas pipeline, ADB said on November 13.
“Establishment of the TAPI pipeline company is a key milestone in the development of the pipeline. It is a tangible sign of transformational cooperation part the parties that presages the enhanced energy security, business prospects, and in general peace and stability in the region promised by the pipeline,” Klaus Gerhaeusser, Director General of ADB’s Central and West Asia Department said.
Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan Saturday congratulated the joint-recipients of this year's Nobel Peace Prize,
Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan Saturday congratulated the joint-recipients of this year's Nobel Peace Prize, Pakistani girl-child education activist Malala Yousafzai and Indian children’s rights campaigner Kailash Satyarthi.
The presidency, in a statement obtained by PANA here, said President Jonathan believes that Malala and her co-winner were very worthy recipients of the Noble Peace Prize in view of their globally-acclaimed and very courageous advocacy against bigotry, discrimination, oppression and extremism even in the majority difficult of circumstances.
Pakistan is wracked by economic instability and security problems that affect the life of each citizen. These interlinked problems are eating away at the Pakistani national and, if left untreated they will create additional fragility which is good neither for Pakistan, the region, nor the rest of the world.
While some argue that Pakistan is simply ‘muddling through’ its multitude of political, security, economic, and social crises, alarmists talk of Pakistan’s impending ‘national failure’ or a return to military dictatorship.
In 2013, Pakistan ranked 13th on the Fund for Peace’s (FFP) annual Failed States Index — most of its indicators having worsened or remained constant. The FFP categorises Pakistan as a ‘high alert’ country, in the same company as Iraq and Afghanistan. Pakistan fares particularly poorly at the same time as it comes to ‘group grievance’ (ethnic and sectarian violence), ‘security apparatus’ (militancy, military coups, bombings), and ‘external intervention’ (this includes the presence of foreign aid and peacekeepers).
- Key Facts
Ambassador :H.E.Mr.Masood Khalid
Full name: Islamic Republic of Pakistan
Population: 184.7 million (UN, 2010)
Area: 796,095 sq km (307,374 sq miles)
Major languages: English, Urdu, Punjabi, Sindhi, Pashto, Balochi
Major religion: Islam
Life expectancy: 65 years (men), 67 years (women) (UN)
Monetary unit: 1 Pakistani Rupee = 100 paisa
Main exports: Textile products, rice, cotton, leather goods
GNI per capita: US $1,050 (World Bank, 2010)
Internet domain: .pk
International dialling code: +92
At the same time as the new chief justice of Pakistan took oath of office on 12 December 2013 Pakistan completed an historic changeover during a year that saw the initial civilian government in 67 years complete its constitutionally mandated term. 2013 as well saw Pakistan get a new prime minister, president and chief of army staff. Perhaps no other country has experienced such a total change of its constitutional officers within a schedule year.
- Petroleum / Mining
- pakistan News
- PETROLEUM / MINING : TAPI member countries' state gas companies establish joint company
- SOCIAL / CSR: Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan Saturday congratulated the joint-recipients of this year's Nobel Peace Prize,
- ECONOMY: Pakistan is wracked by economic instability and security problems
- BUSINESS / TRADE: Pakistan today pitched for liberalising visa regime with India
- GOVERNMENT: Pakistan in the right direction in 2013
- GOVERNMENT: Pakistani chief justice on the Supreme Court of Pakistan
- Trending Articles
- NIGERIA: Nigeria: 1000 Bayelsa Rice Farmers to Benefit From FG Facility
- UZBEKISTAN: World Bank, Uzbekistan ink loan agreements
- ZIMBABWE: Zimbabwe: Pioneer Scales Down Seed Production
- CASABLANCA: King Mohammed VI to the People’s Republic of China,
- INDIA: EXIM-Bank-of-India.jpg
- ETHIOPIA: Ethiopia Named Best Coffee Growing Country
- AGRIBUSINESS / FOOD: Nigeria: 1000 Bayelsa Rice Farmers to Benefit From FG Facility
- BANKING / INVESTMENT: World Bank, Uzbekistan ink loan agreements
- AGRICULTURE: Zimbabwe: Pioneer Scales Down Seed Production
- GOVERNMENT: King Mohammed VI to the People’s Republic of China,
- BANKING / INVESTMENT: EXIM-Bank-of-India.jpg
- AGRIBUSINESS / FOOD: Ethiopia Named Best Coffee Growing Country