PakistanCapital: Islamabad;Largest city: Karachi . GDP growth (annual %) 2012 :4.2%;
Pakistan is wracked by economic instability and security problems that affect the life of each citizen. These interlinked problems are eating away at the Pakistani national and, if left untreated they will create additional fragility which is good neither for Pakistan, the region, nor the rest of the world.
While some argue that Pakistan is simply ‘muddling through’ its multitude of political, security, economic, and social crises, alarmists talk of Pakistan’s impending ‘national failure’ or a return to military dictatorship.
In 2013, Pakistan ranked 13th on the Fund for Peace’s (FFP) annual Failed States Index — most of its indicators having worsened or remained constant. The FFP categorises Pakistan as a ‘high alert’ country, in the same company as Iraq and Afghanistan. Pakistan fares particularly poorly at the same time as it comes to ‘group grievance’ (ethnic and sectarian violence), ‘security apparatus’ (militancy, military coups, bombings), and ‘external intervention’ (this includes the presence of foreign aid and peacekeepers).
Pakistan today pitched for liberalising visa regime with India and expressed willingness to accord non-discriminatory market access (NDMA) to New Delhi any minute at this time to boost bilateral trade.
"I believe yes. I have great confidence. We will be able to resolve that," Pakistan's Commerce Minister Khurram Dastagir Khan told reporters at the same time as asked as to at the same time as Pakistan will grant NDMA status and sort out issue with regard to trade with land route.
He was talking to reporters next inaugurating 'India Show'.
While 2013 was marred by natural disaster, violence, increasing conservatism and poor economic trends, it should be remembered as the year that democracy was consolidated in Pakistan.
Historically, Pakistan has swung between democracy and military policy. Since independence in 1947, Pakistan has been ruled by the military on three occasions and for a period totalling over half of the country’s existence. General Ayub Khan seized power in a bloodless coup in 1958, changing the course of democracy in Pakistan forever.
Elections held on 11 May 2013 heralded a new era for democracy. For the initial time in history one democratically elected government was restored by an extra democratically elected government next President Asif Ali Zardari’s Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) completed its full term in office.
- Key Facts
Ambassador :H.E.Mr.Masood Khalid
Full name: Islamic Republic of Pakistan
Population: 184.7 million (UN, 2010)
Area: 796,095 sq km (307,374 sq miles)
Major languages: English, Urdu, Punjabi, Sindhi, Pashto, Balochi
Major religion: Islam
Life expectancy: 65 years (men), 67 years (women) (UN)
Monetary unit: 1 Pakistani Rupee = 100 paisa
Main exports: Textile products, rice, cotton, leather goods
GNI per capita: US $1,050 (World Bank, 2010)
Internet domain: .pk
International dialling code: +92
At the same time as the new chief justice of Pakistan took oath of office on 12 December 2013 Pakistan completed an historic changeover during a year that saw the initial civilian government in 67 years complete its constitutionally mandated term. 2013 as well saw Pakistan get a new prime minister, president and chief of army staff. Perhaps no other country has experienced such a total change of its constitutional officers within a schedule year.
- Petroleum / Mining
- Pakistan Petroleum buys MND Group assets
- Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India (TAPI) Gas Pipeline Project
- Afghan Security Dulls Turkmenistan’s Hints at Major Gas Deal
- Building a Case for the Trans-Afghan Gas Corridor
- KARACHI A Chinese Company Kingho has agreed to invest in Thar coal and energy projects
- Social / CSR
- pakistan News
- ECONOMY: Pakistan is wracked by economic instability and security problems
- BUSINESS / TRADE: Pakistan today pitched for liberalising visa regime with India
- GOVERNMENT: Pakistan in the right direction in 2013
- GOVERNMENT: Pakistani chief justice on the Supreme Court of Pakistan
- EDUCATION: More enrollment in Malala's part of the world
- STOCK MARKET / FINANCE: Pakistan launches media campaign to boost Islamic finance
- Trending Articles
- ISRAEL: Israel is World Cup-crazy
- LIBERIA: Executive Mansion 'Conceals' Renovation Contract Liberia
- GREECE: Greece is planning on issuing three-year bonds amounting to 2-3 billion euros
- TANZANIA: Tanzania’s Diaspora return to roots
- CHINA: ECOWAS and China have agreed to establish a strategic consultative mechanism
- CAMEROON: Framework to tackle problems of widows
- SOCIAL / CSR: Israel is World Cup-crazy
- CONSTRUCTION / INFRASTRUCTURE: Executive Mansion 'Conceals' Renovation Contract Liberia
- STOCK MARKET / FINANCE: Greece is planning on issuing three-year bonds amounting to 2-3 billion euros
- SOCIAL / CSR: Tanzania’s Diaspora return to roots
- BUSINESS / TRADE: ECOWAS and China have agreed to establish a strategic consultative mechanism
- SOCIAL / CSR: Framework to tackle problems of widows