The minister of Defence and Parliamentary Affairs of Cape Verde, Rui Semedo expressed Tuesday, in Luanda, on behalf of his government faithful thanks for the gesture of solidarity of Angola to his country, next the last Volcanic eruptions that hit the island of Fogo.
Rui Semedo, who was speaking at the opening ceremony of the talks between Angola and Cape Verde, in the field of defense, in Luanda, said the gesture was recorded with great satisfaction by the Cape Verdean country.
"It was a gesture that came at a good time and above all a lot of quick response, because Angola was one of the nations that supported Cape Verde as this calamity caused considerable damage and displaced populations," said the Cape Verdean official.
The existing cooperation in defense and military areas, between the Republics of Angola and Cape Verde, were, Tuesday, considered excellent by the Cape Verdean Minister of Defence and Parliamentary Affairs, Rui Semedo.
"The cooperation between Angola and Cape Verde has advanced in recent years, with chance for both nations," said the official, while addressing the official talks between Angolan and Cape Verdean delegations.
For the defense and armed forces, the Cabinet minister has envisaged that relations march faster, with the existence of concrete actions of exchanges, training and combined military exercises.
Low oil prices will not provide a sufficient updraught to dispel the clouds hanging over the world economy, the International Monetary Fund said on Tuesday.
In a sign of its increasing gloom about the medium term economic outlook, the IMF cut its world economic increase forecasts by 0.3 % points for both 2015 and 2016, despite believing cheaper oil represents a “shot in the arm”.
- Key Facts
Ambassador : H.E Julio MoraisFull name: The Republic of Cape Verde
Population: 501,000 (UN, 2011)
Area: 4,033 sq km (1,557 sq miles)
Major languages: Portuguese, Crioulo (a mixture of archaic Portuguese and African words)
Major religions: Christianity
Life expectancy: 71 years (men), 78 years (women) (UN)
Monetary unit: 1 Cape Verdean escudo = 100 centavos
Main exports: Shoes, clothes, fish, bananas, hides, pozzolana (volcanic rock, used to make cement)
GNI per capita: US $3,270 (World Bank, 2010)
Internet domain: .cv
International dialling code: +238
At the same time as a statement by the world’s most influential development agency provides evidence that a lot of of its staff are “biased” in their perceptions of the poor and their needs, one may expect eyebrows to be raised. At the same time as the president of that institution — the World Bank, no less — acknowledges the flaw and goes on to call for “measures to mitigate these biases, such as additional rigorously diagnosing the mindsets of the people we are trying to help”, jaws should be dropping.
The World Bank has cut its estimate for world increase, warning that the world economy remained overly reliant on the “single engine” of the US recovery.
The Bank said it expected lower oil prices to provide a boost to world activity. But it warned several headwinds would mitigate the result of the falling cost of crude. These include weak confidence part consumers and businesses and the inability of large central banks to cut interest rates below their record-low levels to boost inflation expectations.
The re-opening of the Benguela railway in 2014 will remain as China’s flagship project in Angola, but as well as a symbol of a year in which the relationship between China and Portuguese-speaking nations continued to increase.
Chinese ties with Angola, Mozambique and Cabo Verde (Cape Verde) involve Macau and Portugal, which in 2014 saw Chinese investment in the country rise to 10 billion euros, with several new deals expected in 2015, this time in the financial sector.
Economic and trade cooperation between China and the Portuguese-speaking nations will be deepened, Chinese Vice Premier Wang Yang guaranteed on Tuesday in Macau, announcing an eight-point plan with specific measures to be implemented between 2014 and 2016.
In the opening speech of the fourth Ministerial Conference of Forum Macau, Wang said that the initial of those measures would be the Chinese government’s granting of subsidised loans worth 1.8 billion yuan (US$293 million) to the Portuguese-speaking African and Asian Forum member nations.
The ECOWAS Commission is irrevocably committed to working for free, equitable and credible elections in Member States with a view to entrenching democracy, good governance and facilitating regional integration and development, the President of the Commission, Kadre Desire Ouedraogo, has said.
The climate is temperate with warm and dry summer; precipitation meager and very erratic.
Cape Verde to remain part the majority stable nations in Africa in 2012-13. Next internationally acclaimed presidential and parliamentary elections in 2011-which have led to a system of cohabitation with a parliamentary majority for the Partido Africano da Independência de Cabo Verde (PAICV) but the presidency held by Jorge Carlos Fonseca from the Movimento para a Democracia (MPD)-the country is presently moving towards municipal elections in May and June.
- Petroleum / Mining
- Art / Culture
- Banking / Investment
- Renewable energy
- Cape Verde News
- ENVIRONMENT: Cape Verdean Defence Minister Thanks Angola's Support
- GOVERNMENT: Angola: Cape Verdean Minister Hails Cooperation Level.
- ECONOMY: Revised IMF forecasts signal gloom on global economic outlook
- SOCIAL / CSR: Oxfam Study Finds Richest 1% Is Likely to Control Half of Global Wealth by 2016
- HEALTH: UN Special Envoy Nabarro Sees Ebola Outbreak 'Slowing Down'
- BUSINESS / TRADE: Wang said it was significant to China to cooperate with developing nations
- Trending Articles
- EUROPEAN UNION: Desperate Measures for African Migrants to Europe
- INDIA: Firm realigns strategy after spare parts business earned Rs1,800 crore in revenues in 2014-15
- INDIA: Climate change sparks tension in India’s tea gardens
- CHINA: Ziv Av Engineering (ZAE), one of Israel’s largest high-tech products development firms,
- CHINA: China April HSBC services PMI hits 2015 high
- INDIA: The port would lead to a new chapter in India-Iran relations, says Hassan Rouhani
- SOCIAL / CSR: Desperate Measures for African Migrants to Europe
- COMPANY: Firm realigns strategy after spare parts business earned Rs1,800 crore in revenues in 2014-15
- ENVIRONMENT: Climate change sparks tension in India’s tea gardens
- INDUSTRY: Ziv Av Engineering (ZAE), one of Israel’s largest high-tech products development firms,
- ECONOMY: China April HSBC services PMI hits 2015 high
- INFRASTRUCTURE PROJECTS: The port would lead to a new chapter in India-Iran relations, says Hassan Rouhani