The President of the African Development Bank Group and representatives from Liberia, Sierra Leone, Guinea and Côte d'Ivoire on October 1, 2014 in Abidjan signed loan and grant agreements worth US $152 million to fight back the Ebola crisis in West Africa.
The signing ceremony took place instantly next the Fight Back Ebola Budget Support Programme was approved before in the morning by the AfDB Group Board of Directors, in recognition of the urgent need for liquidities of the concerned nations.
The funds will be allocated to the three nations most impacted by the deadly virus: Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea, inclunding to Côte d'Ivoire as a preventive measure. The financial package consists of a loan of US $121 million and a grant of US $30 million (US $61 million for Liberia, US $50 million for Sierra Leone, US $32 million for Guinea, and US $9 million for Côte d'Ivoire).
The National Secretary for Food and Nutrition Security of Cape Verde, Osvaldo Chantre, told the Cape Verdean news agency (Inforpess), that the idea of the proposed law arose next members of the CPLP approved, in 2011, the Strategy for Food and Nutrition Security (ESAN-CPLP).
Mr. Chantre believes that the document had opened up new opportunities and challenges to promote food and nutrition security within the Community, stating that by 2015, a study would be launched to create the law devoted to the human right to Food.
A Chinese business delegation was welcomed Thursday by the mayor of Cabo Verde’s (Cape Verde’s) Boa Vista Island, José Pinto Almeida, as part of a visit to the archipelago to find out about the market and its business opportunities, Cape Verdean weekly newspaper A Semana reported.
Inclunding the conference with the local authority team, the members of the Chinese delegation as well met with public and private bodies inclunding companies and tour operators to look into potential areas for investment .
Last April, during a visit by the Chinese ambassador, Su Jian, to Boa Vista, Pinto Almeida proposed the possibility of scheduling a visit by Chinese investors and businesspeople.
- Key Facts
Ambassador : H.E Julio Morais
Full name: The Republic of Cape Verde
Population: 501,000 (UN, 2011)
Area: 4,033 sq km (1,557 sq miles)
Major languages: Portuguese, Crioulo (a mixture of archaic Portuguese and African words)
Major religions: Christianity
Life expectancy: 71 years (men), 78 years (women) (UN)
Monetary unit: 1 Cape Verdean escudo = 100 centavos
Main exports: Shoes, clothes, fish, bananas, hides, pozzolana (volcanic rock, used to make cement)
GNI per capita: US $3,270 (World Bank, 2010)
Internet domain: .cv
International dialling code: +238
Economic and trade cooperation between China and the Portuguese-speaking nations will be deepened, Chinese Vice Premier Wang Yang guaranteed on Tuesday in Macau, announcing an eight-point plan with specific measures to be implemented between 2014 and 2016.
In the opening speech of the fourth Ministerial Conference of Forum Macau, Wang said that the initial of those measures would be the Chinese government’s granting of subsidised loans worth 1.8 billion yuan (US$293 million) to the Portuguese-speaking African and Asian Forum member nations.
The climate is temperate with warm and dry summer; precipitation meager and very erratic.
Cape Verde to remain part the majority stable nations in Africa in 2012-13. Next internationally acclaimed presidential and parliamentary elections in 2011-which have led to a system of cohabitation with a parliamentary majority for the Partido Africano da Independência de Cabo Verde (PAICV) but the presidency held by Jorge Carlos Fonseca from the Movimento para a Democracia (MPD)-the country is presently moving towards municipal elections in May and June.
- Cape Verde Transportation Profile 2012
- Cabo Verde’s (Cape Verde’s) flagship airline Transportes Aéreos de Cabo Verde (TACV)
- A Chinese company has shown interest in the privatisation of Cabo Verde’s flagship airline
- Transportes Aéreos de Cabo Verde (TACV) is on the list of companies due to be privatised
- Regular shipping line between Brazil and Cabo Verde
- Petroleum / Mining
- Art / Culture
- Cape Verde News
- HEALTH: West African countries sign US $152 million Fight Back Ebola
- AGRICULTURE: Cape Verde, CPLP countries to create law on the right to food
- BUSINESS / TRADE: A Chinese business delegation was welcomed in Boa Vista Island ; Cabo Verde
- ECONOMY: The current programme of privatisations of public companies and services in Cabo Verde
- TRANSPORTATION: Cabo Verde’s (Cape Verde’s) flagship airline Transportes Aéreos de Cabo Verde (TACV)
- BANKING / INVESTMENT: Japan has donated US$194,000 to the Cabo Verde (Cape Verde) g
- Trending Articles
- AZERBAIJAN: ADB hails Baku’s preparation for Governors Board meeting
- MALI: Ban strongly condemns latest attack on UN peacekeepers in Mali
- GEORGIA: Georgian President Giorgi Margvelashvili World Economic Forum in Istanbul
- WORLD: The 45th Annual Conference of the World Economic Forum,
- ZIMBABWE: Zimbabwe: Offensive Against First Lady Exposed
- EUROPEAN UNION: Inflation in the eurozone slipped again in September.
- BANKING / INVESTMENT: ADB hails Baku’s preparation for Governors Board meeting
- SOCIAL / CSR: Ban strongly condemns latest attack on UN peacekeepers in Mali
- ECONOMY: Georgian President Giorgi Margvelashvili World Economic Forum in Istanbul
- EVENT: The 45th Annual Conference of the World Economic Forum,
- EDUCATION: Zimbabwe: Offensive Against First Lady Exposed
- STOCK MARKET / FINANCE: Inflation in the eurozone slipped again in September.