While Uber continues its push into Africa the company is making allowances to local markets and testing incomparable service models users wouldn’t see in other parts of the globe. Anyone can presently use the mobile app to hail a car in 12 cities across South Africa, Nigeria,Uganda, Kenya, Morocco and Egypt…. And in all of those nations users can pay drivers in hard cash.
The United Nations Children Emergency Fund (UNICEF) has disclosed that despite successes chalked in the fight against Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) and Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS), a lot additional needed to be done particularly in Africa.
UNICEF’s Executive Director, Anthony Lake, revealed that adolescents were generally dying of AIDS at an alarming rate and that the disease remained the leading cause of death in Africa.
Macau businessman David Chow, who is involved in a tourism project in Cabo Verde (Cape Verde), has promised to take to Cabo Verde additional entrepreneurs and companies from China in different areas of economic activity, according to statements made in Praia.
Chow was speaking at the end of a conference between the Prime Minister, Ulisses Correia e Silva and a mission from the China/Africa Development Fund, weekly newspaper A Semana reported.
- Key Facts
Full name: The Republic of Cape Verde
Population: 501,000 (UN, 2011)
Area: 4,033 sq km (1,557 sq miles)
Major languages: Portuguese, Crioulo (a mixture of archaic Portuguese and African words)
Major religions: Christianity
Life expectancy: 71 years (men), 78 years (women) (UN)
Monetary unit: 1 Cape Verdean escudo = 100 centavos
Main exports: Shoes, clothes, fish, bananas, hides, pozzolana (volcanic rock, used to make cement)
GNI per capita: US $3,270 (World Bank, 2010)
Internet domain: .cv
International dialling code: +238
Over the last 15 years, West African governments and the international community have been successful at expanding access to primary schooling and from presently on, a ground-breaking regional learning assessment has revealed that the quality of education has remained elusive. The majority of children surveyed were not acquiring the basic literacy and math skills that are crucial for building human capital in the region.
Cabo Verde (Cape Verde) wants to diversify its economic relations, with particular focus on the “South-South” axis and on Angola and China, to reduce dependence on European nations, according to the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU).
Because of its dependence on Portugal and Italy, nations that have experienced crises in recent years affecting the tourism sector, the Cape Verdean economy lost its momentum and the government believes it can return to it by strengthening “South-South” links.
In June, Cabo Verde and Angola signed a memorandum of considerate in Luanda to expand cooperation and bilateral investment , following a wave of Angolan investment in the archipelago, in which Isabel dos Santos, the major Angolan businesswoman, had a starring role.
At the same time as a statement by the world’s most influential development agency provides evidence that a lot of of its staff are “biased” in their perceptions of the poor and their needs, one may expect eyebrows to be raised. At the same time as the president of that institution — the World Bank, no less — acknowledges the flaw and goes on to call for “measures to mitigate these biases, such as additional rigorously diagnosing the mindsets of the people we are trying to help”, jaws should be dropping.
The re-opening of the Benguela railway in 2014 will remain as China’s flagship project in Angola, but as well as a symbol of a year in which the relationship between China and Portuguese-speaking nations continued to increase.
Chinese ties with Angola, Mozambique and Cabo Verde (Cape Verde) involve Macau and Portugal, which in 2014 saw Chinese investment in the country rise to 10 billion euros, with several new deals expected in 2015, this time in the financial sector.
Gal Water Technologies Ltd. is backed by 20 years of experience in supplying water treatment systems for Industrial, Agricultural and Consumable water.
The two nations had close political interactions. In March, President Jorge Carlos de Almeida Fonseca sent a letter of congratulations to Xi Jinping on his election as the Chinese president. In April, President Fonseca sent a letter of condolences to President Xi Jinping over the earthquake in Lushan, Sichuan Province.
The climate is temperate with warm and dry summer; precipitation meager and very erratic.
Located off the west coast of Africa, Cabo Verde is an archipelago of ten islands of which nine are inhabited. The country has around 500,000 inhabitants. Only 10% of its territory is classified as arable land and the country possesses limited mineral resources. Despite the arid climate and mountainous terrain, Cabo Verde has been developing rapidly, in a large part thanks to its flourishing tourism industry. In addition to boosting tourism, the government is making efforts to turn the islands into a trade and transport hub.
- Banking / Investment
- Environment Projects
- Renewable energy
- Agribusiness / Food
- Petroleum / Mining
- Art / Culture
- Cape Verde News
- TRANSPORTATION: As it expands in Africa, Uber adapts to local markets and adopts cash payments
- HEALTH: AIDS still number one cause of death in Africa
- AGRIBUSINESS / FOOD: Crackdown On Illegal Fishing to Protect Millions of Jobs
- BANKING / INVESTMENT: Macau businessman wants to take companies from China to Cabo Verde
- TRANSPORTATION: Routes Africa forum aims to improve African air connectivity
- BUSINESS / TRADE: Economic integration is helping boost trade and investment in Africa
- Trending Articles
- SWITZERLAND: The Swiss Stock Market Finished Little Changed Ahead Of Fed Meeting
- UNITED STATES: It's the economy, stupid, united State
- INDIA: Sensex, Nifty Set For Subdued Start
- ISRAEL: Israeli PM to embark on historic Africa visit boosting diplomatic, economic ties
- TANZANIA: Tanzania’s economy is expected to grow by 20 basis points to 7.4 % in 2017.
- MIDDLE EAST: GCC introduction of VAT to create 5,000 new tax jobs
- STOCK MARKET / FINANCE: The Swiss Stock Market Finished Little Changed Ahead Of Fed Meeting
- ECONOMY: It's the economy, stupid, united State
- STOCK MARKET / FINANCE: Sensex, Nifty Set For Subdued Start
- BUSINESS / TRADE: Israeli PM to embark on historic Africa visit boosting diplomatic, economic ties
- ECONOMY: Tanzania’s economy is expected to grow by 20 basis points to 7.4 % in 2017.
- STOCK MARKET / FINANCE: GCC introduction of VAT to create 5,000 new tax jobs