Senegalese president Macky Sall will pay an official visit to Cape Verde in the initial week of March in a bid to strengthen bilateral cooperation between the two nations.
The Cape Verdian president, Jorge Carlos Fonseca, who announced the visit, did not specify the duration of Mr Sall's visit.
Filomena Fortes is the new president of the Cape Verdean Olympic Committee, having unseated incumbent Franklin Palma, who was at the helm of the organization for the completed 12 years.
In an anxiously awaited election held in the premises of the country’s Olympic committee, Filomena Fortes, former president of the Cape Verdean Handball Federation, won by a single vote (10-9).
Those who cast the vote included the Federations of athletics, handball, basketball, boxing, football, karate, tennis, volleyball, the National Gymnastics Commission and a representative of Olympic athletes.
- Key Facts
Ambassador : H.E Julio Morais
Full name: The Republic of Cape Verde
Population: 501,000 (UN, 2011)
Area: 4,033 sq km (1,557 sq miles)
Major languages: Portuguese, Crioulo (a mixture of archaic Portuguese and African words)
Major religions: Christianity
Life expectancy: 71 years (men), 78 years (women) (UN)
Monetary unit: 1 Cape Verdean escudo = 100 centavos
Main exports: Shoes, clothes, fish, bananas, hides, pozzolana (volcanic rock, used to make cement)
GNI per capita: US $3,270 (World Bank, 2010)
Internet domain: .cv
International dialling code: +238
Economic and trade cooperation between China and the Portuguese-speaking nations will be deepened, Chinese Vice Premier Wang Yang guaranteed on Tuesday in Macau, announcing an eight-point plan with specific measures to be implemented between 2014 and 2016.
In the opening speech of the fourth Ministerial Conference of Forum Macau, Wang said that the initial of those measures would be the Chinese government’s granting of subsidised loans worth 1.8 billion yuan (US$293 million) to the Portuguese-speaking African and Asian Forum member nations.
The climate is temperate with warm and dry summer; precipitation meager and very erratic.
Cape Verde to remain part the majority stable nations in Africa in 2012-13. Next internationally acclaimed presidential and parliamentary elections in 2011-which have led to a system of cohabitation with a parliamentary majority for the Partido Africano da Independência de Cabo Verde (PAICV) but the presidency held by Jorge Carlos Fonseca from the Movimento para a Democracia (MPD)-the country is presently moving towards municipal elections in May and June.
- Petroleum / Mining
- Art / Culture
- Cape Verde News
- BUSINESS / TRADE: The Cape Verdian president, Jorge Carlos Fonseca,
- SOCIAL / CSR: Filomena Fortes is the new president of the Cape Verdean Olympic Committee,
- ART / CULTURE: International institutions have begun using the spelling “Cabo Verde,”
- TRANSPORTATION: A Chinese company has shown interest in the privatisation of Cabo Verde’s flagship airline
- TRANSPORTATION: Transportes Aéreos de Cabo Verde (TACV) is on the list of companies due to be privatised
- BANKING / INVESTMENT: Cabo Verde (Cape Verde) ; significant Chinese investments are about to be launched.
- Trending Articles
- SEYCHELLES: Culture and Miss Seychelles 2014 top Seychelles tourism promotion
- ANGOLA: Portugal’s balance of trade surplus with Angola fell by 60 % in 2013
- JORDAN: Jordan and Moroccan strengthening economic cooperation
- ITALY: Turkish chief of National Abdullah Gul
- TURKEY: Jobless rate in Turkey reached 9.9%
- BARBADOS: Finance and Economic Affairs Minister Chris Sinckler
- SOCIAL / CSR: Culture and Miss Seychelles 2014 top Seychelles tourism promotion
- BUSINESS / TRADE: Portugal’s balance of trade surplus with Angola fell by 60 % in 2013
- BUSINESS / TRADE: Jordan and Moroccan strengthening economic cooperation
- SOCIAL / CSR: Turkish chief of National Abdullah Gul
- SOCIAL / CSR: Jobless rate in Turkey reached 9.9%
- STOCK MARKET / FINANCE: Finance and Economic Affairs Minister Chris Sinckler