A regular shipping line between Brazil and Cabo Verde (Cape Verde) is due to be launched in the initial two weeks of December using the Agena ship owned by a Danish shipping company, Brazilian newspaper O Povo, from the national of Ceará, reported Tuesday.
The route will be operated by Companhia Docas do Ceará (CDC) and Ceará Trade Brasil, and will link the port of Mucuripe, in Fortaleza, the capital of Ceará national, to the Cape Verdean ports of Praia and Mindelo.
The current shipping route between Ceará and Cabo Verde links Fortaleza to the archipelago via the Brazilian port of Santos and the port of Lisbon in Portugal and takes 35 to 40 days to reach Cabo Verde.
The European Union is available to assist Cabo Verde (Cape Verde) in achieving its aim of 100 % coverage by renewable energy by 2020, Cape Verdean Prime Minister José Maria Neves said in Brussels where he took part in the European Development Days.
“The commissioner for Cooperation and Development, Andrés Piebalgs, welcomed the idea and showed he was available to assist us to achieve 100 % coverage of renewable energy,” said the Prime Minister at the end of conference with the commissioner.
Cited by the Cape Verdean press, the Prime Minister noted that renewable energy was one of the “great priorities” of cooperation between Cabo Verde and the European Union.
The Board of Directors of the African Development Bank (AfDB) Group on Wednesday approved a 15 million-Euro general budget support loan for Cape Verde, to help the country finance its Public Corporate Governance and Investment Promotion Support Programme (PAGEPPI).
The programme aims to help Cape Verde to consolidate its macroeconomic framework and foster increase by improving public corporate governance in national-owned enterprises and promoting private investment , a statement issued by AfDB said.
The PAGEPPI’s operational objectives are to improve public corporate governance so as to streamline public spending and promote private investment to spur economic increase and foster job creation.
- Key Facts
Ambassador : H.E Julio Morais
Full name: The Republic of Cape Verde
Population: 501,000 (UN, 2011)
Area: 4,033 sq km (1,557 sq miles)
Major languages: Portuguese, Crioulo (a mixture of archaic Portuguese and African words)
Major religions: Christianity
Life expectancy: 71 years (men), 78 years (women) (UN)
Monetary unit: 1 Cape Verdean escudo = 100 centavos
Main exports: Shoes, clothes, fish, bananas, hides, pozzolana (volcanic rock, used to make cement)
GNI per capita: US $3,270 (World Bank, 2010)
Internet domain: .cv
International dialling code: +238
Economic and trade cooperation between China and the Portuguese-speaking nations will be deepened, Chinese Vice Premier Wang Yang guaranteed on Tuesday in Macau, announcing an eight-point plan with specific measures to be implemented between 2014 and 2016.
In the opening speech of the fourth Ministerial Conference of Forum Macau, Wang said that the initial of those measures would be the Chinese government’s granting of subsidised loans worth 1.8 billion yuan (US$293 million) to the Portuguese-speaking African and Asian Forum member nations.
Just over two years since its began its process of internationalisation, China’s renminbi is well on its way to becoming a world currency. Trade redenomination into renminbi has taken place everywhere from Malaysia to the Middle East, although the process is still in its early stages across Africa.
Technological innovation, particularly in mobile, will be critical to improving agricultural productivity, but R&D funding must be ramped up next years of neglect
At the same time as Ismail Serageldin, director of the Library of Alexandria, told the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) that world people increase meant food production would have to increase by 70 % by 2050, using the same amount of water, he identified agricultural innovation as the key to solving the problem.
The climate is temperate with warm and dry summer; precipitation meager and very erratic.
Cape Verde to remain part the majority stable nations in Africa in 2012-13. Next internationally acclaimed presidential and parliamentary elections in 2011-which have led to a system of cohabitation with a parliamentary majority for the Partido Africano da Independência de Cabo Verde (PAICV) but the presidency held by Jorge Carlos Fonseca from the Movimento para a Democracia (MPD)-the country is presently moving towards municipal elections in May and June.
- Petroleum / Mining
- Art / Culture
- Cape Verde News
- TRANSPORTATION: Regular shipping line between Brazil and Cabo Verde
- RENEWABLE ENERGY: Cabo Verde aim of 100 % coverage by renewable energy by 2020,
- BANKING / INVESTMENT: AfDB approves €15m general budget support loan for Cape Verde
- SOCIAL / CSR: Cape Verde and its ‘Blue Sharks’ national team
- BUSINESS / TRADE: US Secretary of National John Kerry
- ENERGY: African energy environment seems rather dynamic at present
- Trending Articles
- EUROPEAN UNION: Senior European Union leaders pay tribute to Mandela
- BOTSWANA: Khama said Mandela was a remarkable figure.
- DAKAR CITY: Senegalese dailies honour departed Nelson Mandela
- CHINA: China Data Boosts Recovery Hopes As Leaders Gather To Discuss Reforms
- UNITED STATES: Oil and gas companies will face a tougher regulatory regime in the United States
- AFRICA: African nations step up focus on statistics to tackle food security
- EVENT: Senior European Union leaders pay tribute to Mandela
- EVENT: Khama said Mandela was a remarkable figure.
- EVENT: Senegalese dailies honour departed Nelson Mandela
- INDUSTRY: China Data Boosts Recovery Hopes As Leaders Gather To Discuss Reforms
- PETROLEUM / MINING : Oil and gas companies will face a tougher regulatory regime in the United States
- AGRICULTURE: African nations step up focus on statistics to tackle food security