Japan has donated US$194,000 to the Cabo Verde (Cape Verde) government and to the Praia Municipal Council to fund projects linked to health and safety at work. The arrangement for the donation was signed Thursday in the archipelago’s capital, Praia.
Japan has donated US$72,000 due to the central government to fund a project to improve the sanitary control laboratory of the Praia fishing port.
The coordinator of the management commission of the fishing port, José Maria Carvalho, cited by news agency Inforpress, said that the donation, which is part of the Japanese government’s Non-Refundable Aid Programme for Local Projects, would benefit 1,200 people.
Senegalese president Macky Sall will pay an official visit to Cape Verde in the initial week of March in a bid to strengthen bilateral cooperation between the two nations.
The Cape Verdian president, Jorge Carlos Fonseca, who announced the visit, did not specify the duration of Mr Sall's visit.
Filomena Fortes is the new president of the Cape Verdean Olympic Committee, having unseated incumbent Franklin Palma, who was at the helm of the organization for the completed 12 years.
In an anxiously awaited election held in the premises of the country’s Olympic committee, Filomena Fortes, former president of the Cape Verdean Handball Federation, won by a single vote (10-9).
Those who cast the vote included the Federations of athletics, handball, basketball, boxing, football, karate, tennis, volleyball, the National Gymnastics Commission and a representative of Olympic athletes.
- Key Facts
Ambassador : H.E Julio Morais
Full name: The Republic of Cape Verde
Population: 501,000 (UN, 2011)
Area: 4,033 sq km (1,557 sq miles)
Major languages: Portuguese, Crioulo (a mixture of archaic Portuguese and African words)
Major religions: Christianity
Life expectancy: 71 years (men), 78 years (women) (UN)
Monetary unit: 1 Cape Verdean escudo = 100 centavos
Main exports: Shoes, clothes, fish, bananas, hides, pozzolana (volcanic rock, used to make cement)
GNI per capita: US $3,270 (World Bank, 2010)
Internet domain: .cv
International dialling code: +238
Economic and trade cooperation between China and the Portuguese-speaking nations will be deepened, Chinese Vice Premier Wang Yang guaranteed on Tuesday in Macau, announcing an eight-point plan with specific measures to be implemented between 2014 and 2016.
In the opening speech of the fourth Ministerial Conference of Forum Macau, Wang said that the initial of those measures would be the Chinese government’s granting of subsidised loans worth 1.8 billion yuan (US$293 million) to the Portuguese-speaking African and Asian Forum member nations.
The climate is temperate with warm and dry summer; precipitation meager and very erratic.
Cape Verde to remain part the majority stable nations in Africa in 2012-13. Next internationally acclaimed presidential and parliamentary elections in 2011-which have led to a system of cohabitation with a parliamentary majority for the Partido Africano da Independência de Cabo Verde (PAICV) but the presidency held by Jorge Carlos Fonseca from the Movimento para a Democracia (MPD)-the country is presently moving towards municipal elections in May and June.
- Petroleum / Mining
- Art / Culture
- Cape Verde News
- BANKING / INVESTMENT: Japan has donated US$194,000 to the Cabo Verde (Cape Verde) g
- BUSINESS / TRADE: The Cape Verdian president, Jorge Carlos Fonseca,
- SOCIAL / CSR: Filomena Fortes is the new president of the Cape Verdean Olympic Committee,
- ART / CULTURE: International institutions have begun using the spelling “Cabo Verde,”
- TRANSPORTATION: A Chinese company has shown interest in the privatisation of Cabo Verde’s flagship airline
- TRANSPORTATION: Transportes Aéreos de Cabo Verde (TACV) is on the list of companies due to be privatised
- Trending Articles
- BELGIUM: The European Union is to establish a civil mission to support the Malian interior security forces
- TUNISIA: Revenues from exports in the manufacturing industry in Tunisia dropped
- MALI: African Union's High Representative for Mali and the Sahel, Mr. Pierre Buyoya
- CONGO BRAZZAVILLE: Africa’s science, technology and innovation week opened on Monday in Brazzaville.
- ZAMBIA: Lusaka mayor woos Indian investors
- GUINEA-BISSAU: ECOWAS certifies Guinea-Bissau election free, fair, transparent
- SOCIAL / CSR: The European Union is to establish a civil mission to support the Malian interior security forces
- INDUSTRY: Revenues from exports in the manufacturing industry in Tunisia dropped
- SOCIAL / CSR: African Union's High Representative for Mali and the Sahel, Mr. Pierre Buyoya
- EVENT: Africa’s science, technology and innovation week opened on Monday in Brazzaville.
- LOCAL GOVERNMENT: Lusaka mayor woos Indian investors
- GOVERNMENT: ECOWAS certifies Guinea-Bissau election free, fair, transparent