Asia > Southern Asia > Pakistan > Construction projects

Construction projects in pakistan

• Port co-built with China fuels Pakistan's economic engine

CHINA, 2017/04/07 Gwadar, an poorly-known port town before in Pakistan has been becoming a new economic engine for the country with the construction of a free zone co-built with China. "We have finished 60 % of the initial-phase construction for the port's free zone, which is expected to be completed by the end of this year, one year before than we planned," Hu Yaozong, deputy general manager of the Gwadar Free Zone Company, told Xinhua in a recent interview. Chinese engineers and their Pakistani counterparts are working around clock in the construction site with the hope of seeing the free zone is open to operation as early as possible.
  • China-Pak Economic Corridor: Why Gwadar Is An Overrated Port

CHINA, 2016/07/14 Having served in the Merchant Navy before joining the IAS, I can claim to have visited almost all the ports in the Persian Gulf, specially the oil terminals. At the height of Iran-Iraq conflict, we were picking up crude from Kharg, an Iranian island in the upper reaches of the Gulf, which is its major oil export point, just as Ras Tanura is for Saudi Arabia. So I claim an expertise in the area of analysing ports, specially from the point of view of logistics, and through my present calling, I can as well presently lay claim to considerate a bit of the strategic compass.