Africa > North Africa > Morocco > Social / CSR

Social / CSR in Morocco

• Sixth night of protests in Morocco's north

MOROCCO, 2017/06/02 Thousands of people have demonstrated in northern Morocco for the sixth straight night as protesters request the release of the leader of a popular movement in the neglected Rif region. The Rif has been shaken by social unrest since the death in October of fishmonger Mouhcine Fikri, 31, who was crushed in a rubbish truck as he protested against the seizure of swordfish caught out of season.
  • Ramadan: Time to Fast and Serve

MOROCCO, 2017/05/28 In this holy month of Ramadan, I decided to volunteer at associations that provide help for refugees and disabled people. The significance of fasting during the entire month is not only spiritual, but has a humanitarian basis. Although I know that I’m going to break my fast at the sun set, there are other people elsewhere starving that don’t know where their next meal will come from. I joined the two associations, knowing that I had to prepare for my finals at the university simultaneously. However, I wanted to make my fasting and devotion useful ths month.
  • Second Millennium Challenge Compact With Morocco Gathers Steam

CASABLANCA, 2016/02/09
  • Morocco: imam training stops expansion of fundamentalism

MOROCCO, 2015/05/16 The battle against the misleading distortions of religion cannot be won in a day. Morocco is well aware of this and has perhaps won this fight thanks to a farsighted program which, training imams, keeps pilgrims away from the risk of being used for ends that have little to do with Islam. Nations in North Africa have for years been at the center of concentric action brought forward by the Islamic factions that consider themselves to be the majority orthodox and which, as an expression of the rick oil kingdoms in the Gulf, have the means and tools to make their penetration effective. Morocco, whose king Mohamed VI has the title of ''commander of believers'', has experienced initial hand Islamic terror (as in the case of the Casablanca attacks). However, rather than giving in to emotions, he started a program to train imams (who are under the ministry for religious affairs) to ''vaccinate'' them from the dangers of a subversive contamination of Islam.
  • Arab Youth Survey Report 2015

BAHRAIN, 2015/04/25 Confidence part Arab youth that the Arab Spring would bring positive change across the region is declining and as a result they are uncertain whether democracy could ever work in the Middle East. This is the headline finding of the 7th Annual ASDA’A Burson-Marsteller Arab Youth Survey released today. - Arab youth see the rise of ISIS as the biggest obstacle facing the region - Youth are keen to start their own business as concerns about unemployment continue - The UAE remains the majority popular country to live in and emulate and Saudi Arabia is viewed as the region’s biggest ally - A lot of view the Arabic language as central to their identity but believe it is losing its price to English
  • Oxfam Study Finds Richest 1% Is Likely to Control Half of Global Wealth by 2016

AFGHANISTAN, 2015/01/20 The richest 1 % are likely to control additional than half of the globe’s total wealth by next year, the charity Oxfam reported in a study released on Monday. The warning about deepening world inequality comes just as the world’s business elite prepare to meet this week at the annual World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. The 80 wealthiest people in the world all own $1.9 trillion, the statement found, nearly the same all shared by the 3.5 billion people who occupy the bottom half of the world’s gain scale. (Last year, it took 85 billionaires to equal that figure.) And the richest 1 % of the people, who number in the millions, control nearly half of the world’s total wealth, a share that is as well increasing.
  • Morocco will encourage co-operative-made products, Finance Minister Mohamed Boussaid says.

MOROCCO, 2014/11/06 Participants in the Casablanca "Social Talk 2014" on Wednesday (October 29th) unanimously highlighted the importance of social enterprise to reduce inequalities. Social enterprise is a priority on the government's schedule, Crafts Minister Fatema Marouane told Magharebia on the side-lines of the conference. "This sector creates significant investment opportunities, and hence creates employment and makes a large contribution to the fight against inactivity, insecurity and social exclusion," she added.
  • The creation of jobs for young people has been a major topic of debate in Morocco

MOROCCO, 2014/10/09 The creation of jobs for young people has been a major topic of debate in Morocco recently. Although there are differences of opinion as to what path should be followed, all socio-economic and political figures acknowledge that youth unemployment has reached a worrying scale that calls for immediate responses and solutions. Badr Charaf, a financial journalist, explained to Magharebia that according to the new official figures, the unemployment rate is nudging 10%. "And a increase rate of around 2% will not enable Morocco to create jobs, because experts say increase of 6-7% is needed to create jobs, whereas average increase has been around 4.5% over the completed decade," he said.
  • Morocco Mobilizes 70,000 Troops to Face Terrorist Attacks

MOROCCO, 2014/08/18 Following the warning received by Moroccan authorities on the alleged threat posed by the terrorist groups linked to the Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQMI) and the Islamic National in Iraq and the Levant, Morocco is mobilizing 70,000 troops to prevent terrorist groups from carrying out terrorist attacks against its strategic sites, according to Le360. According to the same source, the Moroccan army deployed several units in the north, in the central and southern cities.
  • EU invests 35 mln in the democratic transformation in Morocco

CASABLANCA, 2013/07/15 The European Union has decided to allocate additional than 385 million dirhams (35 million euros) to Morocco for the second phase of the SPRING programme. This donation, according to the Enpi website (www.enpi-info.eu), should be devoted to projects linked to the democratic transformation and reinforcement of the institutions, inclunding to sustainable and inclusive increase and economic development. The SPRING Programme, with an in general budget of additional than 500 million euros for the 2011-2013 period, aims at supporting the South Mediterranean partner nations in their democratic transition process and helping them meet the urgent socio-economic challenges that they are facing.