Government in Gabon

• Gabon names new government, no opposition members of Ping

GABON, 2016/10/03 Gabon's prime minister on Sunday named a new government in the wake of disputed elections, but it contained no representatives of opposition leader Jean Ping, who says the vote was rigged. According to a government statement, the only opposition leader named in Prime Minister Emmanuel Issozet Ngondet's cabinet of 40 people is Bruno Ben Moubamba, who came in a distant third in the Aug. 27 vote. Moubamba was chosen as deputy prime minister and minister for urbanisation and social habitats.
  • Official results from Saturday's vote are not due out until 1600 GMT on Tuesday

GABON, 2016/08/29 Gabon's opposition presidential candidate Jean Ping has claimed victory over incumbent President Ali Bongo, whose family has ruled the oil-rich African country for nearly half a century. "The decision taken by the people is known presently by everybody," Ping told Al Jazeera on Sunday. "Gabon is a small country so it is possible to know all the results right presently," he said.
  • Jean Ping may be Gabonese opposition presidential candidate in 2016

GABON, 2014/02/20 The former African Union Commission chairman, Jean Ping, is being urged by Gabonese opposition leaders to contest the 2016 presidential election against incumbent President Ali Bongo Ondimba. 'If the Gabonese people ask me seriously to be their candidate for the presidential election in 2016, I will accept it. I don’t fear the consequences,” said Mr Ping in an exclusive interview with PANA at his residence in Libreville. 'It’s time for the Gabonese opposition to play its role and for opposition leaders to speak with one single voice in a bid to contribute to the country’s development,' said Mr Ping, who was very close to the Bongo family and a former minister under the the late President Omar Bongo Ondimba.
  • African governments review growing energy and food subsidies

BOTSWANA, 2013/06/20 African government deficits, while low by historical standards, has been creeping up as aid and remittances dip, and counter-cyclical interventions rack up in response to the effects of the financial crisis. Combined with a rising food and fuel import bill, governments are presently looking for savings. Energy and food subsidies are increasingly being reviewed.