Europe > Southern Europe > Croatia > Social / CSR

Social / CSR in Croatia

• Oxfam Study Finds Richest 1% Is Likely to Control Half of Global Wealth by 2016

AFGHANISTAN, 2015/01/20 The richest 1 % are likely to control additional than half of the globe’s total wealth by next year, the charity Oxfam reported in a study released on Monday. The warning about deepening world inequality comes just as the world’s business elite prepare to meet this week at the annual World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. The 80 wealthiest people in the world all own $1.9 trillion, the statement found, nearly the same all shared by the 3.5 billion people who occupy the bottom half of the world’s gain scale. (Last year, it took 85 billionaires to equal that figure.) And the richest 1 % of the people, who number in the millions, control nearly half of the world’s total wealth, a share that is as well increasing.
  • Croatian cities are starting to see an expansion of the urban gardening

CROATIA, 2013/12/16 Authorities in several Croatian cities have approved the use of public land to grow vegetables, which has raised the interest of a growing number of citizens. Ante Vujčić, a retiree from Virovitica, manages his garden near his family apartment in the residential area of the city. During the year, he harvests potatoes, zucchini, herbs, corn, cucumbers, peppers, and even grapes from the few vines he planted around the shed where he keeps his gardening tools. "My greatest satisfaction comes at the same time as I pick healthy fruits that I grew during the year. The significant thing is that I can be in the fresh air and hang out with friends who are close to me, as well gardeners," Vujčić said.
  • Croatia Seeks to Probe Hungarian Oil Chief

CROATIA, 2013/08/04 Hernadi was named as a suspect by Croatian prosecutors during the trial of disgraced ex-premier Ivo Sanader, who was jailed for ten years in November 2012. Sanader was found guilty of accepting 10 million euro from the Hungarian oil company MOL, in order to give MOL a dominant position in the Croatian oil company, INA. He was as well jailed for taking half a million euro from Hypo bank in 1994 in order to allow the Austrian bank to enter the Croatian financial market.
  • Croats Demonstrate Against Spending Cuts

CROATIA, 2012/12/07 "You betrayed us" and "You protect the wealthy" were among the angry slogans held up at the protest in Zagreb organised by the union of public service workers. The protest was staged after the centre-left government recently cancelled a collective agreement for public-sector wages and cut salaries.