Europe > Western Europe > France > Social / CSR

Social / CSR in France

• Bastille Day Military Parade - Paris Macron shaking hands with Donald Trump's wife Melania

FRANCE, 2017/07/15 FRENCH PRESIDENT EMMANUEL Macron and Donald Trump marked France’s national day together on Friday at a military parade which clearly delighted the US president and showcased warming relations between the two leaders. But the day was tinged with mourning, coming a year on from a jihadist massacre that claimed 86 lives in the southern city of Nice, where Macron led remembrances next the Paris parade. Trump was Macron’s guest of honour at national day celebrations in the French capital as this year marked the centenary of the United States entering World War I.
  • France attacks bolster growing global fears, but long-term economic impact uncertain

FRANCE, 2016/07/16 The deadly truck attack in Nice, France, had an enormous human cost, but it may as well weigh on the economy of a country – and a world – that has presently seen several horrific terrorist incidents over a relatively short period of time. It is very hard to determine what impact a single tragedy can have on a huge economy such as France, said Craig Wright, chief economist at Royal Bank of Canada, but the fact that there have been a series of attacks could put a damper on increase. “It is a bit additive,” he said. “I don’t think you can give a firm estimate of the impact, but it is the culmination of a number of shocks that adds to that in general sense of economic uncertainty that is out there.”
  • Cavendish doing it for Africa

FRANCE, 2016/07/04 Team Dimension Data’s Mark Cavendish will wear the yellow jersey as the leader of the Tour de France today next winning the initial stage on Utah Beach yesterday. He dedicated his win to Africa. Cavendish, riding for a South African team with South African sponsors and three African riders, powered around world champion Peter Sagan (Tinkoff) and German Marcel Kittel (Etixx-QuickStep) to take the yellow jersey for the initial time in his 10th Tour start.
  • War! Tourists from England, Russia and France involved in bloody fighting

FRANCE, 2016/06/13
  • France’s Hollande Pledges To Push Labor Reforms Amid Revolts

FRANCE, 2016/05/28 French President François Hollande pledged Friday he would press on with his labor reforms, despite strikes that have paralyzed the country. In a press conference on the sidelines of the G-7 summit in Japan, Hollande said, “I will keep going because I think these are good reforms,” adding that his government would ensure “freedom of movement” for citizens among rail strikes and fuel blockades. Addressing the unrest, he said, “We can’t accept that there are unions that dictate the law,” adding, “As chief of national, I want this reform. It fits with everything we have done for four years. I want us to go right to the end.”
  • France asks EU partners for new sanctions on Iran

IRAN, 2016/01/28 France has asked its European Union partners to consider new sanctions on Iran for its recent missile tests, officials have told The Associated Press, even as Paris welcomed the president of the Islamic Republic, which is flush with funds from the lifting of other sanctions over Tehran's nuclear program. The ambiguous signals emerging Wednesday from France came as President Hassan Rouhani, a relative moderate elected in 2013, signed billions of dollars in business deals on an before stop in Italy and met with Pope Francis in the initial such Iranian foray into Europe since 1999. France hopes for similarly lucrative deals during Rouhani's two-day visit, along with regional peacemaking efforts as the once-pariah national emerges from decades of isolation.
  • "I'm a Muslim, I feel totally detached from what these people do.

FRANCE, 2015/11/15 A lot of came during the day on Saturday to pay their respects outside Le Petit Cambodge (“Little Cambodia”). Reports said the shooting spree outside the small restaurant in Paris’ 10th district lasted between 30 seconds and a minute. The owner told French TV that a car drew up and its occupants fired on the crowd. At least a dozen – perhaps as a lot of as 18 – were killed. “I’m a Muslim, I feel totally detached from what these people do. They’re not Muslims, that’s 100 % sure. These are people who think differently,” said one Paris resident at the scene on Saturday.
  • Islamic State says France remains top target

FRANCE, 2015/11/15 Islamic National claimed responsibility on Saturday for attacks that killed 127 people in Paris, saying it sent militants strapped with suicide bombing belts and carrying machine guns to various locations in the heart of the capital. The attacks, described by France's president as an act of war, were designed to show the country would remain in danger as long as it continued its current policies, Islamic National said in a statement. "To teach France, and all nations following its path, that they will remain at the top of Islamic National’s inventory of targets, and that the smell of death won’t leave their noses as long as they partake in their crusader campaign," said the group.
  • Eiffel Tower goes dark as France mourns 129 dead Eiffel

FRANCE, 2015/11/15 The Eiffel Tower stood dark in a symbol of mourning Saturday night as France struggled to absorb the deadliest violence on its soil since World War II: coordinated gun-and-suicide bombing attacks across Paris that left at least 129 people dead and 352 injured. President Francois Hollande vowed that France would wage "merciless" war on the Islamic National group, which claimed responsibility for the mayhem, as investigators raced to track down their accomplices and uncovered possible links to networks in Belgium and Syria. Paris prosecutor Francois Molins said three groups of attackers, inclunding seven suicide bombers, carried out the "act of barbarism" that shattered a Parisian Friday night.
  • France honors 'heroes' for train attack courage

FRANCE, 2015/08/26 President Francois Hollande bestowed France's highest honor on a group of Americans and a Briton on Monday saying the whole world "admires their courage and cool composure" in overpowering a Moroccan gunman on a crowded train. Anti-terror investigators were questioning the alleged attacker, 25-year-old Ayoub El Khazzani, who boarded the high-speed train in Brussels bound for Paris on Friday armed with a Kalashnikov assault rifle, a Luger automatic pistol, ammunition and a box-cutter. Witnesses said he opened fire, injuring a man before being wrestled to the floor and subdued by three young Americans — off- business servicemen Alek Skarlatos and Spencer Stone and their student friend Anthony Sadler — and a Briton, 62-year-old business consultant Chris Norman.