Brazil: Brazil’s Libra deepwater oilfield expected to yield a million bpd
The consortium that is awarded the right to develop the Libra prospect will likely need to drill for about four years next signing its production-sharing agreement, with commercial production likely to begin in the fifth year, ANP Director-General Magda Chambriard told a press conference in Rio de Janeiro.
The Libra deepwater oil field that Brazil plans to auction off Oct 21 will yield minimum output of 1 million barrels of crude per day, the National Petroleum Agency, ANP, said on Friday. That production would be equivalent to half of Brazil's current output of 2 million bpd.
ANP studies indicate that between 12 and 18 production platforms will be needed to develop Libra, whose recoverable oil is estimated at between 8 billion and 12 billion barrels, nearly equivalent to Brazil's current proven-reserve base of 14 billion barrels.
Libra, located some 183 km off the coast of Rio de Janeiro national in an area of the Atlantic Ocean where water depths range from between 1,700 meters and 2,400 meters, will be the initial pre-salt field to be auctioned off by Brazil.
The pre-salt frontier, a series of ultra-deep oil fields that were discovered in recent years and stretch for some 800 km off the coasts of the south-eastern states of Espirito Santo, Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo and Santa Catarina, could dramatically increase Brazil's proven-reserve tally and transform the country into a major crude exporter.
But accessing those fields, so-named because they are located under water, rocks and a shifting layer of salt at depths of up to 7,000 meters below the surface of the Atlantic, will be very costly and pose an enormous technical challenge.
The auction as well will be the initial Brazil will hold under a new production-sharing agreement, or PSA, system for pre-salt reserves.
In the PSA system, oil companies bear the mineral and financial risk of the project and use the money from oil sales to recover their costs. The money that remains next that is known as “profit oil” and is shared between the company and the government.
The winner of the auction will be the consortium that pledges to provide the national the highest proportion of profit oil.
ANP estimates that the Brazilian government will receive roughly 75% of the profits from the Libra field, taking into account its share of the profit oil, inclunding taxes and royalties.
Under the new contracts for the pre-salt fields, national-controlled oil giant Petrobras must be the sole operator of each PSA and have a minimum 30% stake in the all pre-salt projects. The remaining 70% may be divided part a maximum of five other companies.
- Related Articles
- Brazil News
- ARGENTINA: Brazil Trade Minister Says New Argentina Leader 'Music to Our Ears'
- CHINA: BRICS leaders at G-20 summit
- BRAZIL: Brazil and EU agree on biosecurity measures for horse sports in RIO 2016 Games
- BRAZIL: Petrobras import of US condensate help address refining shortage, but faces tax controversy in Brazil
- BRAZIL: Brazil oil workers stage national strike and stopped operations at 22 rigs
- BRAZIL: Brazilian construction tycoon sentenced to 19 years in prison for Petrobras corruption scandal
- Trending Articles
- EGYPT: Egypt's infrastructure projects get a $1.5B boost from Kuwait fund
- BOTSWANA: World’s Second-Largest Diamond Found In Botswana
- BURUNDI: The Effects Of Extending Presidential Terms In Africa: The Case Of Burundi, Uganda And Rwanda
- ARGENTINA: Macri Topples Argentina's Peronists, Tough Reforms Ahead
- ISRAEL: Israel, Egypt sign letter of intent for Leviathan natural gas export deal
- ARGENTINA: Argentine President-Elect Picks UN Insider as His Top Diplomat
- BANKING / INVESTMENT: Egypt's infrastructure projects get a $1.5B boost from Kuwait fund
- PETROLEUM / MINING : World’s Second-Largest Diamond Found In Botswana
- SOCIAL / CSR: The Effects Of Extending Presidential Terms In Africa: The Case Of Burundi, Uganda And Rwanda
- GOVERNMENT: Macri Topples Argentina's Peronists, Tough Reforms Ahead
- BUSINESS / TRADE: Israel, Egypt sign letter of intent for Leviathan natural gas export deal
- GOVERNMENT: Argentine President-Elect Picks UN Insider as His Top Diplomat