Asia > Eastern Asia > China > Russian firm seals energy exploration deal to drill South African shelf

China: Russian firm seals energy exploration deal to drill South African shelf

2017/09/07

Russia’s geological research company Rosgeo and South African national oil company PetroSA have signed an offshore drilling agreement on the sidelines of the of the BRICS Summit in Xiamen, China.

The transaction is worth an estimated $400 million over the next 10 years.

Rosgeo aims to start exploring two blocks off the country's south coast. The agreement covers a huge all of geological exploration work, inclunding drilling exploratory wells.

The company is expected to undertake 1,500 square miles of 3D seismic operations and over 8,000 miles of gravity-magnetic exploration activities.

The Russian company will get a 70 % stake in the project with the remaining 30 % going to PetroSA, according to Rosgeo’s CEO Roman Panov.

He stressed the project is aimed at oil and gas extraction and will be financed in partnership with Russian and South African banks.

The arrangement is seen as lucrative for the Russian company as it allows to employ its capacities, inclunding drilling equipment and staff all year round.

Estimated reserves in the two blocks reportedly total 50 million tons of crude and 1.2 trillion cubic meters of natural gas.

Under the terms of the agreement, the daily volume of extracted gas is set to reach four million cubic meters. The gas will again be delivered to a gas-to-liquid refinery at Mossel Bay.

Related Articles
  • Chinese messaging app error sees n-word used in translation

    2017/10/14 Chinese messaging app WeChat has reportedly apologised next an AI error resulted in it translating a neutral Chinese phrase into the n-word .WeChat is blaming machine learning for erroneously converting a neutral phrase meaning ‘black foreigner’ into something far more offensive The WeChat error was reported by Shanghai-based theatre producer and actor Ann James, a black American. In a post on the service’s Twitter-like Moments feature, she wrote that it had translated hei laowai – a neutral phrase which literally means “black foreigner” – as the n-word. “We’re very sorry for the inappropriate translation,” a WeChat spokesperson told Chinese news site Sixth Tone. “Next receiving users’ feedback, we instantly fixed the problem.”
  • 5 charts that show how China is spending billions in foreign aid

    2017/10/14 China's foreign aid is sharply in focus this week with an unprecedented new data trove showing the country's growing global reach and detailing how Beijing spends its cash. In recent decades, the world's second largest economy has evolved from an aid recipient to a net aid donor. But a lack of official information on China's development activities had prevented the international community from understanding where and how the country spends its foreign aid. That's because the government considers its international development finance program to be a "state secret," according to AidData, a research lab at Virginia-based College of William & Mary.
  • Xi squeezing the life out of China’s media'

    2017/10/10 Everyone has their habits at the same time as they return to a favourite place. Landing in Guangzhou recently, my initial act — as always — was to seek out the new edition of Southern Weekend. It was formerly the vanguard of Chinese investigative journalism, exposing crooked officials, dodgy charities and official hypocrisy of all flavours. Its lead story would be an exposé, illustrated by a striking image. The 7 September edition was none of those things. A striking image did fill the front page, but it was of President Xi Jinping. The ‘chairman of everything’ is pictured striding across a marble floor, looking calm, composed and exhaustively pleased with himself as he prepares to address the media at the conclusion of the 9th BRICS Forum in Xiamen.
  • The Infrastructure Megaproject

    2017/10/03 The Infrastructure Megaproject To help simplify and increase cross-border trade, the top priority of BRI is infrastructure development While infrastructure development is focused on transportation, particularly railways inclunding highways and ports, it as well includes the telecommunications and energy sectors BRI projects will benefit infrastructure development specialists in China and around the world, create jobs for local people along the Belt and Road and help world distributors of a wide variety of goods reach new and existing markets faster
  • A single city in China built more skyscrapers last year than the US and Australia combined

    2017/10/03 China’s skyscraper craze reached another new high last year.