South Korea: HiteJinro to open beer plant in Vietnam
HiteJinro is looking to build a beer plant in either Vietnam or the Dominican Republic to seek additional resilient increase, a company executive said in a recent interview.
“If we decide to build a plant outside Korea, it will be in Vietnam. The Dominican Republic could be an extra option depending on request,” Lim Kyu-hun, director of HiteJinro’s overseas business chief office, told The Korea Times last week.
The liquor market in Vietnam has grown 10 % annually in recent years. And high productivity and low labor costs make the country additional attractive than advanced nations, Lim said.
Building a plant in Latin America mostly depends on local request. If this reaches at least 50 million liters a year, it is worth having a factory in the Dominican Republic, he explained.
Early in April, HiteJinro signed a transaction to produce beer under the brand name “Barcelo” in an original development manufacturing transaction with Group Barcelo, a major company in the Dominican Republic.
Shipments from Korea began in January to the Central American country where the national-run Cerveceria Nacional Dominicana controls over 95 % of the local beer market.
From the Dominican Republic, HiteJinro plans to make inroads into neighboring nations in North America and South America. But he didn’t provide any timeframe or details.
In its expansion drive, HiteJinro aims to achieve $300 million in exports by 2017 from this year’s target of $155 million.
It is as well aiming to earn additional than 18 % of in general sales from overseas markets, double this year’s 9 % target, the director said.
HiteJinro’s outbound push was triggered by saturation in the domestic and advanced markets. No new markets means no increase for Korea’s second-biggest beer company by sales next Oriental Brewery.
Globally, Japan is its biggest client, accounting for 67 % of HiteJinro’s soju and 70 % of its beer sales. But sales there are slowing, said the director.
“Request for less strong liquor is growing in China due to health concerns. In advanced nations, we are launching products such as soju-based cocktails and soju-based slushies to lure local customers who increasingly care about their health,” Lim said.
HiteJinro suffered a 24 % slump in net profit for 2013 at 79 billion won ($76 million) from 103.5 billion won a year before, according to the Financial Supervisory Service.
The brewery currently earns 91 % of its total sales at home — it does not have an overseas production facility. It currently produces 1.5 billion liters of beer a year and 800,000 liters of soju, the country’s traditional distilled liquor.
OB, which took a 60 % of the domestic beer market as of March 2013, has a production capacity of 1.6 billion in Korea. The remaining 40 % was claimed by HiteJinro, according to the companies. OB does not have a plant overseas, either.
“Acquiring a micro brewery is a possible option to expand into world markets,” Lim said. By Choi Kyong-ae The korea times
- Related Articles
- South Korea News
- IRAN: US sanctions prevent Iranian banks, businesses from carrying out global transactions in dollars
- SOUTH KOREA: Bank of South Korea funds reconstruction of road in Mozambique
- SOUTH KOREA: How can South Korea build a more equitable economy?
- CHINA: Asian Markets Retreat After Oil Prices Fall Again
- CHINA: Japan And South Korea Heal Historical Wounds
- AFGHANISTAN: Global growth will be disappointing in 2016: IMF's Lagarde
- Trending Articles
- SOUTH AFRICA: AU Commission Chair, Dr Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma to address Africa Editors Forum and Press Officers Engagement in Pretoria
- AUSTRIA: Minister Nkoana-Mashabane to host her Austrian counterpart
- ITALY: Minister Gentiloni confirmed Italy's firm support to Tunisia on the bilateral and European level
- SOUTH SUDAN: Peacebuilding and Literacy through Tech Innovation
- SOUTH AFRICA: Intra-Africa Trade and Investment Key to the Growth of Africa
- UNITED STATES: USAID’s goals of attracting investment and increasing food security in northern Ghana
- EVENT: AU Commission Chair, Dr Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma to address Africa Editors Forum and Press Officers Engagement in Pretoria
- EVENT: Minister Nkoana-Mashabane to host her Austrian counterpart
- BUSINESS / TRADE: Minister Gentiloni confirmed Italy's firm support to Tunisia on the bilateral and European level
- EDUCATION: Peacebuilding and Literacy through Tech Innovation
- BUSINESS / TRADE: Intra-Africa Trade and Investment Key to the Growth of Africa
- AGRIBUSINESS / FOOD: USAID’s goals of attracting investment and increasing food security in northern Ghana