Asia > Eastern Asia > China > CNPC leaves Iran’s energy projects

China: CNPC leaves Iran’s energy projects

2014/04/22

China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) has left Iran's oil projects as an ultimatum over its continuous delays has expired.

Iran issued an ultimatum to CNPC on February 18 over its continuous delays in developing the South Azadegan oilfield.

At the time, Iranian Oil Minister Bijan Namdar Zanganeh said if this trend continues, CNPC will be expelled from the project.

The presence of CNPC in Iran will depend on changing its behavior within the 90-day ultimatum which has been given, Zanganeh said.

Tasnim news agency before reported that CNPC is on the verge of quitting Iran's South Azadegan oilfield development project.

CNPC had been awarded with developing North Pars oilfield, Yadavaran joint oilfield, North and South Azadegan fields, and the phase 11 of the South Pars gas field. Due to its repeated delays, the company has been expelled from the South Pars and the North Pars projects, and they are on the verge of being expelled from the South Azadegan project.

CNPC has been in charge of developing the field for seven years. However, only seven out of the projected 185 wells of the initial phase of the oilfield have been drilled so far, the managing director of Iran's Petroleum Engineering and Development Company (PEDEC), Abdolreza Haji Hosseinnejad said in February.

"The project is only seven % complete," he noted.

"CNPC was supposed to use 25 drilling rigs at the joint oilfield, but currently only five drilling rigs are active there," he added.

The oilfield is projected to produce 320,000 barrels of oil per day.

CNPC signed a memorandum of considerate with National Iranian Oil Co in 2009, promising to pay 90 % of development costs for the South Azadegan oil field while taking ownership of a 70 % stake. An Iranian official said the project needed investment of up to $2.5 billion

Related Articles
  • Shanghai's GDP up 6.8 percent in Q1

    2017/06/20   SHANGHAI'S economy was off to a better-than-expected start with gross domestic product expanding 6.8 % from a year before to 692.28 billion yuan (US$100.39 billion) in the initial quarter, Shanghai Statistics Bureau said today. The pace was 0.1 % point faster than the same period of last year but 0.1 % point slower than the national average. "The city's economy grew steadily in the initial three months of this year, mainly fuelled by notable recovery in industrial output, robust domestic request inclunding improved export," said Ruan Qin, deputy director of Shanghai Development and Reform Commission.
  • Central SOEs do Belt and Road projects

    2017/06/20 NEARLY half of China’s centrally administered national-owned enterprises have participated in the Belt and Road initiative since it was launched in 2014, said Xiao Yaqing, chief of the National-owned Assets Supervision and Government Commission. Since the initiative was launched three years ago, 47 of the 102 central SOEs have invested in or built 1,676 projects in the nations and regions along the Belt and Road, Xiao said yesterday.
  • Hong Kong SAR, Australia announce official launch of FTA negotiation

    2017/06/20 AUSTRALIA and China's Hong Kong Appropriate Administrative Region (SAR) on Tuesday announced the official launch of the Free Trade Agreement (FTA) negotiation. The announcement was jointly made here by Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development of the Government of the Hong Kong SAR Gregory So Kam-Leung and Australia's Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment Steven Ciobo.
  • CHINA’S State Council yesterday announced further measures to reduce corporate burden

    2017/06/20 CHINA’S National Council yesterday announced further measures to reduce corporate burden and vowed additional support for the country’s “Made in China 2025” plan. China plans to cut annual corporate costs by 120 billion yuan (US$17.4 billion) through measures such as lowering logistics costs and cutting business fees, according to a statement released following the National Council conference presided by Premier Li Keqiang.
  • china Mainland sees 4.3% fall in FDI in April

    2017/06/20 FOREIGN direct investment in the Chinese mainland retreated mildly from a year ago in April, data from the Ministry of Commerce showed yesterday. The FDI fell 4.3 % from a year before to 59.91 billion yuan (US$8.7 billion) in April, in contrast to a 6.7 % increase in March, said a statement posted on the ministry’s website. Last month saw 3,343 new foreign-funded enterprises set up on the mainland, up 42.7 % year on year.