Africa > Central Africa > Angola > Angola grants 7,000 hectares of land to Cabo Verde

Angola: Angola grants 7,000 hectares of land to Cabo Verde

2015/11/21

The government of Angola granted a plot of 7,000 hectares in Kwanza Sul province to Cabo Verde (Cape Verde) for agricultural development, said Thursday the Cape Verdean ambassador to Angola, Francisco Veiga.

The ambassador, at the end of a courtesy visit to the governor of Kwanza Sul, Eusébio de Brito Teixeira, said the government would presently consider what to produce on the land but said that maize production from improved seeds was one of the priority crops.

“The Ministries of Rural Development and Finance and Planning are by presently examining this file, so that the government can decide what will be produced in those 7,000 hectares,” said the ambassador quoted by Angolan news agency Angop.

Veiga and the governor of Kwanza Sul reviewed the cooperation project between the two nations, particularly a twinning agreement between the cities of Praia and Sumbe, where a rural village will be established to set up Cape Verdean families that will work in agriculture and livestock.

Cabo Verde is by presently producing food abroad, specifically in Paraguay, where the government, in partnership with agricultural engineer Adriano Bettencourt Pinto, in 1996 bought a plot of 10,000 hectares, which mainly produces rice, corn, wheat and soy.

The land, purchased from a private owner for US$1.129 million, was 80 % owned by the Cape Verdean national and the remaining 20 % by the agricultural engineer, from presently on ending up in private hands, following the “privatisation of the National Supply Company (EMPA) and the political indecision of the time,” according to Adriano Pinto.

The land is known as the Ilha Verde (Green Island) and widely considered to be the 11th island of Cabo Verde, with the initial shipment of 15,000 tons of corn reaching the archipelago in November 2013.

Related Articles
  • Nobel Laureate Joseph Stiglitz Calls For New Strategy

    2017/10/19 Joseph Stiglitz has advised African nations to adopt coordinated strategy encompassing agriculture, manufacturing, mining, and service sectors to attain same success delivered by the old manufacturing export-led strategy. Prof. Stiglitz, an economist and professor at Columbia University, New York, gave the advice at the Babacar Ndiaye lecture series introduced by African Export-Import Bank (Afreximbank) which debuted in Washington D.C.
  • Ecobank launches mVisa across 33 African Countries

    2017/10/19 Ecobank Scan+Pay with mVisa delivers instant, fasten cashless payment for goods and services by allowing customers to scan a QR code on a smartphone or enter a incomparable merchant identifying code into either a feature phone or smartphone Ecobank (https://Ecobank.com) has partnered with Visa to launch Ecobank Scan+Pay with mVisa solutions to their consumers. The strategic tie-up signals interoperability on a cross border level – and potentially huge gains – as it affords consumers with the ability to use their mobile phone to due access the funds in their bank accounts to pay person-to-merchant (P2M) or person-to-person (P2P).
  • ‘Betting on Africa to Feed the World’

    2017/10/17 The president of the African Development Bank, Akinwumi Adesina, will deliver the Norman Borlaug Lecture on Monday 16 October as part of the World Food Prize events taking place from October 16 to 20, 2017 in Des Moines, Iowa, USA. The Norman Borlaug Lecture under the title: “Betting on Africa to Feed the World”, will be held on World Food Day, October 16, in conjunction with the annual World Food Prize celebration.
  • World Teacher’s day: Gov’t urged to improve teachers’ productivity

    2017/10/16 Cameroonian teachers nationwide have exhorted the Cameroonian government to empower teachers with the requisite tools to be able to deliver their best in the present fast-paced world. While commemorating the 23rd edition of world teacher’s day today, the teachers noted that the theme for this year’s celebration, “Teaching in Freedom, Empowering Teachers,” reaffirms that peace and security are needed for the development of any country.
  • Africa's Economic Future Depends on Its Farms

    2017/10/16 At the same time as the economies of Nigeria and South Africa recently rebounded, it wasn't oil or minerals that did the trick. It was agriculture. Faster and additional sustainable agricultural increase is crucial not only to the continent's economy, but as well to its ability to feed and employ its surging people. Agriculture still accounts for a quarter of gross domestic product and as much as two-thirds of employment in sub-Saharan Africa. In fact, agricultural increase has the biggest impact on non-farm gain and reducing poverty.